GridBuddy Getting Started Guide
- Installation Options
- Assigning Users
- Quick Start
- Installation Issues
- Making the Application Visible
- Enabling Grid Wizard Access
- Enabling Access to GridBuddy Visualforce Pages
- Upgrading GridBuddy
- Uninstalling GridBuddy
- Contact Us
After clicking the Continue button during step 1 of the installation wizard, approve third-party access for the site gridbuddy-meta-service-appbuddy.com and click Continue. This site is used for GridBuddy’s meta data service to support dependent and record type pick lists, and lookup filters. The meta data service is hosted on Heroku, a Salesforce-owned platform. GridBuddy does NOT transmit or store any production data outside of your org to this or any other service.
When assigning access to the GridBuddy application during step 2 of the installation wizard, if you select the “Grant access to all users. All internal custom profiles get full access” option, you will not need to configure visibility to GridBuddy or setup Grid and Grid Wizard access (see below). Once a user is assigned a license, they will be able to access the GridBuddy application.
After installing, assign users who need access to the GridBuddy application:
- Go to Setup > Build (or App Setup) >Installed Packages
- Click on Manage Licenses next to GridBuddy.
- Assign licenses to your users. The application will not be visible otherwise.
You’re now ready to use GridBuddy! Here’s some steps to get started:
- Click the application dropdown in the top right corner to select GridBuddy.
- Click the Grids tab to view the sample grids packaged in the app. The sample grids include: Accounts with Contacts and Opps, Leads, Open Tasks, Opportunities with Tasks.
- Edit a sample grid by clicking the “Configure” link or click the Grid Wizard tab to create your own.
GridBuddy should install successfully when installed by a System Administrator with access to all fields in your Salesforce instance. If you experience problems seeing GridBuddy, follow these steps:
Making the Application Visible
If you have Developer, Enterprise, or Unlimited edition follow these steps to make the application visible to your users:
- Go to Setup > Manage Users > Profiles, and click Edit next to your Profile.
- Under Custom App Settings, select the Visible checkbox next to GridBuddy.
- Under Tab Settings, select “Default On” for these tabs:
- Buy GridBuddy (only for GridBuddy Unlimited)
- Getting Started
- GridBuddy User Guide
- Grid Wizard
- Click Save.
Enabling Grid Wizard Access
The Grid Wizard allows users to create GridBuddy Grids. Users’ profiles must have the “Customize Application” and “View Setup and Configuration” permissions in order to use the Grid Wizard. These permission can be granted by editing a custom profile and assigning it to a user. For Group and Professional Editions, the System Administrator is the only profile that has these permissions.
Users’ profiles must also have “Modify All” access on the “GridBuddySettings” object in order to use the Grid Wizard. This object is installed as part of the GridBuddy managed package. These permissions can also be granted by editing a custom profile associated to a user.
To edit a custom profile to have the required Grid Wizard permissions:
- Go to Setup > Manage Users > Profiles.
- Click Edit next to the profile you want to edit. Note that standard profiles cannot have the “Customize Application” and “View Setup and Configuration” permissions edited. You must first clone standard profiles as custom profiles. See the Salesforce help documentation for more information.
- Scroll down to the Administrative Permissions section, select the check box next to “Customize Application”. The “View Setup and Configuration”permission will be checked automatically.
- Scroll down to the Custom Objects Permissions section, select the “Modify All” check box next to the “GridBuddySettings” object.
- Click Save.
To allow non-admin users (those without the “Customize Application” and “View Setup and Configuration” permissions) to configure grids, enable the “non-admin” option on the Grid Wizard Landing page.
Enabling Access to GridBuddy Visualforce Pages
To enable access to the Grid Wizard, users’ profiles must be granted access to the following Visualforce pages:
- GBLite.ManageCustomCode (only for GridBuddy Unlimited)
To enable access to a Grid in GridBuddy, users’ profiles must be granted access to the following Visualforce pages:
To grant Visualforce page access to a profile:
- Go to Setup > Manage Users > Profiles
- Click on the Profile name to open the Profile view screen.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Edit button next to Enable Visualforce Page Access.
- In the Available Visualforce Pages section, select the Visualforce pages indicated above and move them to the Enabled Visualforce Pages section by clicking the “Add” arrow.
- Click Save
Note: the Visualforce page prefix will be GBLite if you are using the GridBuddy package.
You can get the latest version of GridBuddy from the GridBuddy AppExchange listing:
- GridBuddy Unlimited: https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N30000003IkInEAK
Click the Get it Now button and follow the install instructions. Your existing grids will remain intact after installing the new version.
No additional steps aside from the normal package uninstall are required to uninstall GridBuddy. When you uninstall GridBuddy, your organization’s data will not be affected. You will, however, lose definition data GridBuddy generated used only for rendering GridBuddy Grids.
Have questions about how to do something in GridBuddy? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org